Here's a list of select resources compiled by Minnesota LTAP.
Asphalt Patching Methods Best Practices Manual
This manual provides guidelines on the selection of patching method, pothole preparation, placement of patching materials, and compaction.
Base Stabilization Guidance and Additive Selection for Pavement Design and Rehabilitation
This guidebook intends to focus on stabilization for new construction and Stabilized Full Depth Reclamation (SFDR) and to help with the selection of suitable nonproprietary stabilization additives for individual specific project(s). Watch a short video about the guidebook.
Minnesota Concrete Flatwork Specifications for Local Government Agencies (PDF)
Minnesota Local Road Research Board and Minnesota LTAP, 2014 (revised). This document provides specs for local agencies and the concrete industry to follow as they move through the life of a local concrete project.
Safety Edge Resources
A collection of resources on the Safety Edge, a beveled or sloped pavement edge that replaces vertical pavement-edge drop-offs with a 30-degree slope during the paving process.
To Pave or Not to Pave - Technical Brochure
A comprehensive product that includes a technical brochure, research reports, and PowerPoint presentations to help local agencies make policy decisions for maintaining and upgrading gravel roads. Minnesota LTAP, 2006.
- To Pave or Not to Pave - Technical Brochure (603 KB PDF)
- PowerPoint Presentation (1.6 MB PPT)
- PDF of PowerPoint (1.0 MB PDF)
Minnesota Seal Coat Handbook 2006 (PDF)
The primary purpose of this handbook, revised in 2006, is to provide a solid background in seal coat materials, equipment, design and construction for the field inspector.
Asphalt Pavement Maintenance Field Guide (285 KB PDF)
Minnesota LTAP, Minnesota Dept. of Transportation, Minnesota Local Road Research Board, Federal Highway Administration, 2002
This field guide provides guidelines for preventive asphalt pavement maintenance techniques for a variety of distresses and conditions. It covers rack treatments (clean and seal, rout and seal, full-depth crack repair), surface treatments (fog seal, seal coat, thin hot-mix overlays), and pothole patching and repair (cold-mix asphalt, spray injection patching, hot mix asphalt, slurry or micro-surfacing material).
Best Practices Handbook on Asphalt Pavement Maintenance (715 KB PDF)
Minnesota LTAP, Minnesota Dept. of Transportation, Minnesota Local Road Research Board, 2000
The purpose of this handbook is to provide background information about the importance of pavement preservation and preventive maintenance, as well as present maintenance techniques for a variety of distresses and conditions.
National Asphalt Pavement Association
NAPA provides information on asphalt research, including publications, professional development, and environmental considerations.
State Aid Concrete Pavement Rehabilitation Best Practices Manual 2006 (PDF)
Minnesota Local Road Research Board, Minnesota Dept. of Transportation, Minnesota LTAP, 2006
This manual, a reformatted version of LRRB Manual 2005-33, has been designed to be used as specifications for concrete repair of local city streets and county concrete pavements. It is intended to be used as supplemental specifications for constructing this work throughout the state of Minnesota. All standard plates have been designated as SA, which is an abbreviation for State Aid.
These select websites, compiled by Minnesota LTAP, can help you find more information on this topic.
- Minnesota Local Road Research Board (Please go to the LRRB website and use the search tool to find resources about this topic.)
- MnDOT Materials and Road Research
- MnDOT Pavement Design
- FHWA Pavements
- Transportation and Road Research Alliance
- Concrete Paving Association of Minnesota
- Minnesota Asphalt Pavement Association
- American Concrete Pavement Association
- National Asphalt Pavement Association
These pre-constructed searches can help you find current resources on this topic.
- WorldCat.org: Asphalt
- WorldCat.org: Concrete
- MnDOT/CTS library catalog: Asphalt Pavement
- MnDOT/CTS library catalog: Concrete Pavement
- Hot Mix Asphalt Tool (Minnesota LTAP)
- DCT Test Sample Preparation (MnDOT, 2014, 9:51)
- Why Aren't They Working on My Road? (LRRB, 2014, 7:07)
- Minnesota Pothole Professionals: Smoothing the Way to Safer Travel (MnDOT and LRRB, 2012, 3:45)
- Anatomy of a Pothole (Anoka County, 2010)
- Pothole Q&A (Anoka County, 2010)
- Life Cycle of a Highway (Missouri Department of Transportation, 2009)
- Shoreview Pervious Concrete 2009 (City of Shoreview, 2009, 0:36)
- Mini paver (City of Cottage Grove, 2007)
- Hassan - Omann Tear-off Shingle Recycling Demonstration (LRRB, Hennepin County, Town of Hassan, 2006)
The Minnesota LTAP Librarian can help you find and obtain LTAP and CTS publications and research, as well as transportation-related materials from other libraries and databases.
Please call 612-624-3646 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.