Snow and Ice Control
Guides, Manuals & Tools
Minnesota Snow and Ice Control: Field Handbook for Snowplow Operators (PDF) (Minnesota LRRB, MnDOT, and Minnesota LTAP, 2022)
The purpose of this handbook is to help promote the understanding of the tools, best practices, and limitations for snow and ice control. In addition, it encourages progressive changes in snow and ice control practices that will help you reduce salt/sand use and environmental impacts while meeting the safety and mobility needs of roadway users.
Blowing Snow Control Tools website (contains a drift-free road design tool and a cost/benefit calculator.)
Manual of Best Practices and Techniques for Clearing Intersection Layouts (PDF) (Clear Roads, 2018)
This manual presents best practices and techniques for snow plowing various intersection layouts.
Winter Parking Lot and Sidewalk Maintenance Manual
(Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, 2015)
The purpose of this manual is to deliver practical advice for improving operating efficiency and reducing environmental impacts to those who manage parking lots and sidewalks.
Anti-Icing Guide (MnDOT, 2010)
Local Government Snowplow Salt and Sander Controller Calibration Guide (Minnesota Local Road Research Board, 2009)
The purpose of this guide book is to provide easy-to-use steps for calibrating snowplow sander controllers. It is an experience-based guide that captures tips and techniques learned by experienced calibrators. Also includes a Manual Calibration Calculation Worksheet (XLS)
Research Reports & Projects
- Adaptive Management to Improve De-Icing Operations (MnDOT, 2021)
- Hot Shots for Cold Climates – Evaluating Treatment of the Hardest Icy Spots (MnDOT, 2020)
- Assessing the Effectiveness of Potassium Acetate to Control Snow and Ice on Minnesota Highways (MnDOT, 2020)
- Alternative Methods for Deicing (Clear Roads, 2020)
- Investigation of Alternative Deicers for Snow and Ice Control (U.S. DOT, 2018)
- Minnesota Local Road Research Board
- FHWA Snow and Ice
- Clear Roads Research Program
- 511 MN - for weather information services
- MnDOT Highway Maintenance Snow & Ice Resources
Training & Events
- CTAP Training
- MnDOT Snow Plow Operator Training
- MPCA Smart Salt Training
- APWA North American Snow Conference
- Pacific Northwest Snowfighters Conference
- Winter Operations Training Series (Iowa DOT, 2020)
- Deicing Study: Putting the Products to the Test (MnDOT, 2014, 3:00)
- Sander operation and calibration videos (MnDOT, FORCE America, 2014)
- How to Operate (22:27)
- Operation Review (1:24)
- How to Calibrate (37:25)
- Software Update (8:51)
These pre-constructed searches can help you find current resources on this topic.
The Minnesota LTAP Librarian can help you find and obtain LTAP and CTS publications and research, as well as transportation-related materials from other libraries and databases. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.