ADA Training: Construction
This full-day training will provide attendees with an understanding of how to construct pedestrian facilities that provide accessibility in the public right-of-way from initial surveys and layout through the final documentation of Compliance Checklists. The course covers the construction requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) Standard Plans and Specifications.
This course is designed to provide local governments and consultant inspectors with a detailed understanding of the construction of accessible sidewalks, curb ramps, and signal systems. Training participants will be guided through MnDOT Special Provisions Prosecution of Work ADA (1804), Curb Ramp Standard Plan 5-297.250, Sidewalk and Driveway Standard Plan 5-297.254, Accessible Pedestrian Signals, and best practices from MnDOT. Compliance documentation will also be covered during the class.
Do You Need to Be Certified?
If you require certification, you may take a 75-minute open book exam at the end of class. This test is a requirement for obtaining certification through MnDOT. A minimum score of 70 percent is required to pass the test. Come prepared to make a payment of $125 paid to MnDOT after the class is over to obtain the MnDOT certification card.
MnDOT is offering another set of training dates to MnDOT staff, which you may attend instead if you wish to receive certification. The content presented in both classes is the same. If you would prefer to take the MnDOT-sponsored dates, you may register for the classes on the MnDOT website.
Dates and Locations
This training will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (registration begins at 8:00 a.m.) at the specified locations on the dates listed below.
- January 10, 2019—MnDOT District 1 Headquarters, 1123 Mesaba Ave, Duluth
- January 16, 2019—MnDOT District 2 Headquarters, 3920 Hwy 2 West, Bemidji
- February 7, 2019—MnDOT District 4 Headquarters, 1000 Hwy 10 West, Detroit Lakes
- February 13, 2019—St. Cloud Training Center, 3725 12th St N, St. Cloud
- February 21, 2019—MnDOT District 6 Headquarters, 2900 48th St NW, Rochester
- February 27, 2019—MnDOT District 7 Headquarters, 2151 Bassett Dr, Mankato
- March 21, 2019—MnDOT Training and Conference Center, 1900 County Road I West, Shoreview
- March 27, 2019—MnDOT District 8 Headquarters, 2505 Transportation Rd, Willmar
- April 3, 2019—University of Minnesota Continuing Education & Conference Center, Room 135, 1890 Buford Ave, St Paul, MN 55108
- Register online
- City and county staff: Free (but registration is required)
- Consultants and contractors seeking certification: $125 due after the class
Special requests: If you have a disability and require accommodation to fully participate in this activity, please contact Michelle Huettl at 651-366-3312 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should be made immediately upon registering to accommodate your needs.
- MnDOT Special Provisions Prosecution of Work ADA (1804)
- Curb Ramp Standard Plan 5-297.250
- Sidewalk and Driveway Standard Plan 5-297.254
- Accessible pedestrian signals
- Best practices from MnDOT
Who Should Attend
This training is designed for city and county engineers, inspectors, and consultants. For those who need to be certified for MnDOT’s inspector list, you must pay for the certification through MnDOT. The LRRB and Minnesota LTAP will not accept payment.
- Harvey Unruh, ADA Construction Specialist, Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Tim Paul, District 3 Project Supervisor, Minnesota Department of Transportation
For more information, please contact Katherine Stanley, Minnesota LTAP program coordinator, at email@example.com.
To the best of our knowledge, this course meets the continuing education requirements for 7.0 PDHs as outlined in Minnesota Statute 326.107. More information concerning continuing education for professionals is available on the Minnesota Board of AELSLAGID website.
This training is sponsored by the Minnesota Local Road Research Board, Minnesota Department of Transportation, and Minnesota LTAP.