Weight Charts & Other Resource
These resources will help you check your knowledge of the most current issues addressed in truck-weight compliance training. They measure knowledge (in comparison to what should be known). Outcomes aren't meant to be a test, rather just a check of where attention is currently focused regarding truck-weight issues and questions.
Minnesota Weight Charts and Tables
These charts/tables are for reference only. All axles and tires must be in compliance to receive maximum legal weights.
- Axle Weight Limits (XLSX)
- Restricted Axle Weight Chart (XLS)
- 10-Ton Road Limits Chart (XLS)
- Minnesota Gross Weight Table (XLS)
- Minnesota Tire Weight Charts (PDF)
Some weights valid only with permit from proper road authority. Check before you haul. Contact the MnDOT Permit Office at 651-296-6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minnesota Truck Weight Calculator
The Minnesota Truck Weight Calculator provides a convenient way to determine the maximum legal weight that any set of axles on a vehicle/vehicle combination may carry on Minnesota highways. This calculator is demonstrated at the Minnesota Truck-Weight Education Training classes.
Other Key Resources
A listing of state and national information on load restrictions, permits, and regulations.
- MnDOT Seasonal Load Limits: The main MnDOT site for seasonal load limits
- Minnesota County Highway Engineers Map (86 KB PDF): Starting point for local contacts
- Minnesota Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO) FAQs: Specifically, the maximum size without needing a permit
- Mn/DOT Oversize/Overweight Permits
- Minnesota Trucking Regulations: Comprehensive, general trucking manual for Minnesota
- Emergency Executive Order 20-24: Providing for Emergency Relief from Regulations to Motor Carriers and Drivers Operating in Minnesota (PDF): The FMCSA issued a national emergency declaration that provides relief from certain safety regulations to carriers providing direct assistance to support emergency relief efforts in response to COVID-19. This Executive Order from Governor Tim Walz outlines regulatory exemptions in Minnesota related to transporting livestock.
- Vehicle Size & Weight Program: Information on Federal standards and guidelines, state enforcement activities, reporting requirements, and contacts from FHWA Freight Management and Operations.